4.1K views

I thought that working at Payless would be a fun experience--what girl wouldn't want to work with shoes? Well, working at the Great Lakes Crossing Mall location was a nightmare.

Not only do I have to deal with angry customers more often because their shoes are of poor quality, but items get stolen more often, my boss takes advantage of her job benefits, and I had to give up my 4th of July to work there WITHOUT holiday pay because they only pay holiday pay to full time employees.

This is not the way a company should treat their employees--it makes us feel like we are not at all appreciated or desired at the store. My advice: DO NOT WORK OR SHOP AT PAYLESS.

Comments

I currently work at Payless and they literally forgot to pay us today or something...they're switching to bi-weekly pay at the end of the month but weren't supposed to start it yet. Nobody has gotten paid yet. BS.

to ANON #1417086

I work at Payless too. I heard it was because there was no money to pay their lower level employees, so they had to get a loan to pay us.

I got fired for being sick with a doctors note when I come to work on time and do my job good everytime I was there.

I have worked for Payless almost a year now and it is one of the best jobs I have had. My manager has become my confidant and friend we even go on double dates with our significant others.

My mom even works at the store with me part time so its fun when people realize the connection. It was annoying that I was working full time hours from the get go and I wasn't getting the pay or benefits of full time people but when we moved to the super store in Kansas I was promoted and I love everything that comes with it.

Its not a hard job you know what you get yourself into right off the only hard parts are having to clean up after rude people or angry customers but its retail. Seriously hour breaks very flexible schedule and weekly pay what more could you ask for.

I totally agree we get little pay for all the things they ask us to do give us no credit on good work we do and to top it off get horrible hours since the manager gets 50+ hours not fair at all

I LOVE working for payless

Evidently this is corporate policy to treat employees this way. I DO NOT work for this company but I have a relative that does and the issues are identical.

Manager changes employee time sheets, leaves early and then changes her time, she clocks her employees in and out before they have ever shown up for work.

Seems like they are trained to do this. Keeps the employee pull rotating and they save on $$

to Anonymous #1055913

Exactly what happened to me ! Its unfair and its a joke to have managers like that

to Anonymous #1111893

not working for Payless you know very little about the company. We are not trained to cheat people or the company. That person should have been fired but because part timers did not speak up it does not get caught but eventually the person will be caught

Dallas, Texas, United States #938295

I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU WORK THERE. I WORKED THERE A YEAR AND A HALF.

I WAS FIRED CUZ I GOT ROBBED AT GUN POINT AT A LOCATION IN DALLAS.

THEY TOOK ADVANTAGE AND FIRE MY BOSS AS WELL WHO WASNT EVEN AT THE STORE AT THE MOMMENT. DM TERRENCE IS A DOUCHE!!!

It was horrible experience. Working Payless.

I was a manager for 4 years and one they my horrible Dm came to fire me buz she say I cheat on zcat score and never show me proof y got no job never treat with respect !! After 4 years wk hard

to Kiki sola4 #937853

Hello !!! I was on Payless for 4 years too !!and they fire me the same way no proof I will sue Payless for this you should do same email me camado89@gmail.com

to Lily #1080398

Omg I've been there for over four years and they're a cussing me of stealing when it's my ex boss who just came from one store because of missing money I wish there was something I could do it's not fair.

North Vernon, Indiana, United States #904021

Yup. I worky there currently and and being fired every day is a daily threat.

I work every day from the time I get there and I am not a slacker.

When everything is not done due to time "fired" Its the most unprofessional *** paying job ever. looking elsewhere.

I work at a store in Atlanta, Georgia and to you the truth, it's no different here. Aside from the terrible customers who do nothing but steal and lie for coupons, my manager is a complete bully.

I'm the only associate of four in our store that does not have children. That means I have worked every holiday shift since starting. I've always been the go to associate when someone can't make a shift or left their keys at home. Never once did I complain because hey, where else is going to hire me at above minimum wage?

This year I had three separate groupings of dates I requested off. I put in my requests in January when the dates weren't until April, May, then August. My May and now August dates were completely over looked though I was told the dates were accepted. If it were just an error in scheduling, I would understand.

But because she refuses to hire more people and refuses to stay in the store longer than five hours, I am screwed out of a day I originally had off. Payless doesn't take care of its employees.

They let bullies manage the people who do some of the hardest work in the industry. It's incredibly unjust and it is ridiculously unfair.

Welcome to the world. I am assuming you are a teenager or this is your first job.

Honey, we have all been there or are there. What you describe is nothing new.

Go to college and/or get top-notch admin skills so you can advance beyond cheap shoes in the mall with minimum wage. (I got a pair of $5.00 shoes at payless and I swear they lasted me 10 years)...True story!

to Anonymous #933344

Working for Payless is a *** company. I have a business degree and worked there in management for 4 years.

Terrible company. Don't assume everyone complaining is a teenager who doesn't know the work world, honey.

I completely know what you are talking about, I have been with payless for a year and a half now and its awful. I worked full time hours for a full year before I was promoted to full time status so that I could receive the benefits that I deserved.

Once I became full time status my boss freaked out and cut my hours super low so that I would go back to part time. I kept telling her that I needed to use the last of my paid time off and she assured me that I would have until the end of January to use all of it. Well here it is only January 9th and I barely today found out that Payless changed my work status to part time on December 29th and that I lost all of my paid time off and other benefits I was promised such as holiday pay for January 1st (which I worked all day on).

I am so furious that I lost that money, Payless doesn't pay me well as is but to lose that pto really hurts my bank account...especially since my hours will still remain very low! :( :( :(

to Anonymous #1055914

This is exactly what happened to me I had saved up all my vacation hours to go on a family trip plus personal and sick hours for emergencies

From one day to the next I'm told by the DM a new full time person is being sent over and Iam being dropped to part time

All the hours Ihave saved are lost and all the effort iIput into doing a good job for a crappy ccompany is for nothing they have no appreciation for hard work

And treat employees like krap

Richardson, Texas, United States #734874

Working for Payless sucks. PERIOD.

Just don't work there. Don't.